Saturday, April 21, 2007

itunes sucks

i have grown tired of itunes limited and inane functionality. i am seeking a shareware alternative to this overprotective and handicapped program. i dig yamipod for its grassroots birth and you can transfer files to and from your hard drive with ease. however, there is no hard drive library conduit and one needs to find an itunes-alternative, such as songbird.

i'm not totally down with this set up, as the two products from separate developers seems to have some communication issues in transference of files. ugh.

dear citizens of the internets... i am seeking an all-in-one shareware music library and ipod manager that picks up the slack where itunes leaves you with a furrowed and frustrated brow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, regularly.

I've been feeling the need to podcast, yet the inability to reasonably search i-tunes makes me crazy. Literally thousands of podcasts exist, yet there's little info out there to help me find what I want? Arg...

Juanny

Anonymous said...

I am basing my recommendations on the assumption that you are using a politically-correct (PC) computer.


The Bomb!
=========
Foobar2000
- I've been using Foobar for the past year (literally to the day!) and I must say it is the best player & media library I have seen. I grew tired of Winamp (however I still occasionally use it) and decided to try Foobar. Glad I did - it's a quality player, supports countless formats, is extensible through the use of plugins, highly configurable, supports skins, and looks nice. It's learning curve may be higher than other players if you want to configure it to your liking, but even the default config is worthy. I highly recommend this player if you don't mind taking a little extra time to tweak it. Frickin' sweet!

(iTunes plugin also available)

Here's some screenshots of some sample configs:
1
2


Other worthy alternatives:

iTunes Clones
=============
MediaMonkey
MusikCube
Songbird (the Firefox of media players)

Winamp Clones
=============
dbPowerAmp Audio Player

MusicMatch Clones
=================
Quintessential Player
(don't know much about)

Podcasting
==========
Juice


The neighborhood bullies:

Windows Media Player
Winamp


Also check out these threads:
HydrogenAudio
LifeHacker
LifeHacker


Hope this helps :)
jB